Benzie Senior Resources’ (BSR) mission statement, To provide exceptional services, resources and trusted care to support Benzie seniors, guides the agency’s focus. The staff, volunteers and Board are committed to providing services, resources and creative, innovative leadership to make Benzie County a livable, age-friendly community that promotes senior dignity and independence. No matter their age or situation, they have professional, reliable services to help keep Benzie seniors living independently – with dignity – in their own homes.
The annual Walk-A-Thon, BSR’s major fundraiser, is a morning of friendship, caring and giving to support Benzie seniors. A combination of businesses, teams and individuals work together to help BSR raise funds allowing them to continue providing all services without waiting lists. Revenues fail to keep pace with the increased need for many of their services, and this past year saw double-digit growth in: Personal Care; Home Delivered Meals; Medication Management; Respite Care; Snow Removal; Diabetic Foot Care; Oral Health Dental Care; and Events and Activities. The need for these services will continue to increase as our Benzie County population ages.
How does BSR impact our community? In 2017 they:
• Delivered 50,580 meals to homebound clients; an increase of 17% over 2016
• Served 25,489 meals at The Gathering Place Senior Center; an increase of 1.5% over 2016
• Provided 4,262 service hours through the Homemaker Program; an increase of 15% over 2016
• Provided 17,436 bus rides to seniors through Benzie Bus; an increase of 16% over 2016
• Increased the number of clients receiving Personal Care, RN visits/Medication Management and Respite Care by 52% during 2017
• Increased the number of clients receiving Snow Removal services by 16% over 2016
• Increased the number of folks participating in activities at The Gathering Place Senior Center by 26% over 2016
• Increased the number of clients receiving Lawn Chore services by 50% over 2016
• Assisted 200 individuals with Medicare and Medicaid services saving them over $49,000 in out‐of‐pocket expenses
• Doubled, each month, the number of individuals receiving foot care through our foot clinics
• Visit the Benzie Senior Resources Website to Learn More!